Quick Tips for the First 4 Weeks Postpartum
Updated: Feb 27, 2022
That early #postpartum stage is no joke! The first month after welcoming your little one(s) is incredibly beautiful and challenging, all at the same time. Here are a few of my go-to #quicktips to help parents grow their confidence while making sure Mom & baby are healthy. 🧸
- #Breastfeed on demand. No schedules yet! 🕰
- Frequent cat naps. They make a difference! 🛌
- Every visitor should have a job. Bring food, do dishes or laundry, watch baby while Mom showers or naps.
IT IS NOT THE NEW PARENTS’ JOB TO “ENTERTAIN” VISITORS OR MAKE THE HOUSE PRESENTABLE FOR THEM!
- Dad/Partner has a VERY important role as the “Gatekeeper”. Set #boundaries and keep #visitors at bay if Mom isn’t up for it. Be her voice and be the ”bad guy” if necessary.
- Track all feeds, pees, and poops. Alert #pediatrician of any abnormalities, no matter how small. There are 1001 different apps for this - use one! You will be too exhausted to keep it all in your head. 📱
- Prioritize daily hygiene. #Newparents can easily fall into self neglect and this can have a large impact on your #mentalhealth. A hot shower can do wonders for both mind and body. 🛀
- Last but certainly not least… Work with an #IBCLC for personalized breastfeeding support! An #InternationalBoardCertifiedLactationConsultant is the only professional expert in #lactation.
Not your pediatrician, not your #doula, not your #OBGYN, not your Facebook group!
While you may get some valuable info from those places, they are not experts trained in human lactation to assess mom and baby together as one unit.